Migrate for Compute Engine
- Migrate for Compute Engine decouples VMs from their storage and introduces capabilities that ease the move to Google Cloud, including:
- Easy deployment: Install Migrate for Compute Engine virtual appliances in just a few steps, without installing agents on servers.
- Simple management in vCenter for VMware migrations: A plug-in flattens the learning curve for VMware administrators. Integration with tasks, events, and alarms provides visibility and control over migration.
- Secure by design: Data transfers between Migrate for Compute Engine components use TLS and AES-128 encryption. Data at rest is de-duplicated, compressed, and encrypted with AES-256.
- Boot over WAN: Migrate for Compute Engine performs a native boot in the cloud from VMs in a few minutes, regardless of image size.
- While the image boots, Migrate for Compute Engine adapts it for the target environment.
- No changes to the application, original image, storage, drivers, or networking are necessary.
- Intelligent streaming: Migrate for Compute Engine prioritizes the data necessary for an application to run and moves that data to the cloud first.
- Migrate for Compute Engine streams data to the cloud when needed.
- Multi-tier caching and optimization: Migrate for Compute Engine includes a multi-tier, read-write cache in the cloud.
- Migrate for Compute Engine cache stores data needed by the application.
- De-duplication, pre-fetching, asynchronous write-back, and network optimizations accelerate migration, reducing migration bandwidth by up to 75% in production migrations.
- Resiliency: Migrate for Compute Engine Cloud Extensions use an active-passive configuration across two availability zones.
- Data is written in both zones and then asynchronously transferred back on premises to reduce the risk of data loss.
- Writes can persist solely in the cloud for development and testing.
- Recovery point objective (RPO) is the maximum acceptable length of time during which data might be lost due to an incident.
- Migrate for Compute Engine's architecture ensures a 30-second RPO for sync to Google Cloud Storage in the rare case of a dual zone failure and a 1-hour RPO for sync on-premises.
- Supports multiple operating systems