Migrate for Anthos
- Migrate for Anthos is a tool for containerizing existing applications to run on Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE).
- Migrate for Anthos can be used to migrate applications running on VMware, AWS, Azure, or Compute Engine VMs into containers on GKE.
- While lifting and shifting VMs into Compute Engine has consistency benefits, migrating VMs into GKE containers is a step toward modernization.
- Containers use fewer resources than VMs, allowing for greater density across clusters.
- Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) can automatically upgrade nodes, which simplifies updates and security management.
- Utilities such as Istio can wrap applications to provide features such as authentication, encryption, and tracing by reconfiguring, not rewriting and recompiling.