Istio Service Mesh
- Services are usually composed of many Pods executing containers.
- A single application may consist of numerous services.
- Each service may have multiple versions deployed concurrently.
- Service-to-service communication occurs over the network.
- Networks can be unreliable and insecure, so services must identify and deal with network idiosyncrasies.
- Istio uses side-car proxies to enhance network security, reliability, and visibility.
- Network functions are abstracted away from the application's primary container, and implemented in a common out-of-process proxy delivered as a separate container in the same Pod.